Popular Posts
-
I’ve always looked askance at the Domestic Chicken ( Gallus domesticus ) and it's evolutionary progenitor ( G. gallus ), as if they were...
-
I am speaking, of course, of the National Wildlife Federation field guide to birds of North America , by Edward S. Brinkley. Published in M...
-
Bueno y ahora un recorrido especial (que bueno hacerlo en la piel de los chicos) por la historia fotográfica de ELIJAH y MILO.. Un amigo ...
-
Let me say right up front that I have no problem with pet cats ( Felis domesticus ) and the people who own and care for them; I was once a c...
-
An accounting of significant events in the history of North American bird conservation and ornithology, and of the people who helped shape t...
Monday, May 10, 2010
Drought, Beetles, Jays, and Nutcrackers in the American West
From the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s Project FeederWatch comes a fascinating tale about how Pinyon Jays and Clark’s Nutcrackers dispersed widely in the winter of 2002-2003 in response to a protracted drought that had prevailed in the southwestern U.S. since about 1999. The drought, in combination with infestations of native beetles that resulted in the widespread loss of Pinyon Pines, a valuable food source, caused the birds to wander in search of alternative foods.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment