Popular Posts

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Field Notes from the Past #13

Being a continuation of field-journal entries from the springs of 1962 and 1963 when I was a budding ornithologist of just 15 or 16 growing up in the rural village of Galien in Berrien County, Michigan.
April 17 [1962], Tuesday

For the second day, no [Eastern] Bluebirds were seen near house #2, although I searched carefully in the immediate area of the house. A Song Sparrow was seen singing from a perch on the wires almost directly above the house. It may be that the bluebirds have been driven of[f] by the Song Sparrow because they were on his territory. I searched in the area of the house again in th eevening, but again found no bluebirds.

I saw my first Red Fox in a woodland swamp early in the morning. The fox was seen carefully for several seconds so that I could see the white tip on the tail and the black feet.

Another flock of [Canada] Geese were seen flying overhead again today. There were 23 of them, flying in a long, trailing line.

No comments:

Post a Comment