Popular Posts
-
I’ve always looked askance at the Domestic Chicken ( Gallus domesticus ) and it's evolutionary progenitor ( G. gallus ), as if they were...
-
I am speaking, of course, of the National Wildlife Federation field guide to birds of North America , by Edward S. Brinkley. Published in M...
-
Bueno y ahora un recorrido especial (que bueno hacerlo en la piel de los chicos) por la historia fotográfica de ELIJAH y MILO.. Un amigo ...
-
Let me say right up front that I have no problem with pet cats ( Felis domesticus ) and the people who own and care for them; I was once a c...
-
An accounting of significant events in the history of North American bird conservation and ornithology, and of the people who helped shape t...
Friday, January 25, 2008
The "Other" Field Guide to Birds
I am speaking, of course, of the National Wildlife Federation field guide to birds of North America, by Edward S. Brinkley. Published in May 2007 and touted on the back cover as “The most up-to-date all-photographic field guide,” this book seems to have been virtually ignored by bird (and virtually all other) bloggers. That is a shame, as I find it to be an incredibly well-designed and quite useful guide, much more so than other photo-based guides such as those by Ken Kaufmann and Don and Lillian Stokes. More than 750 species are illustrated with 2,100 full-color photographs (an average of nearly 3/species). Each photograph is enhanced with captions highlighting important field marks. Four-color range maps are provided for 600 species. In my opinion, this book should be a mandatory addition to every North American birder’s collection of field guides.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment